INSECT: International Scholar Exchange,
Collaboration and Training


About the Program

Students from the following universities now have the option to enrich their education with a fall or spring semester abroad at the University of Arizona:

  • University of Würzburg, Würzburg, Germany: student exchange at the graduate and senior undergraduate level

  • Université François Rabelais de Tours, Tours, France: student exchange at the graduate and undergraduate level

  • University of Southampton, Southampton, England: student exchange at the graduate level, only

  • Wenzhou Medical College, Wenzhou, Zhejiang, P.R. China: student exchange at the graduate level, only

Modes of Collaboration

University of Arizona
Social insects, nervous systems and behavior, ecology and population biology, molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry and genomics, developmental biology, theoretical model systems, evolutionary biology, insect vectors and biomedicine, plant-insect interactions, physiology, systematics. For a complete listing of Center for Insect Science faculty conducting research in the above areas, please visit

Application Requirements

  • Nomination by your department and/or international office from exchange partner institutions;
  • Telephone interview with department after receipt of packet;
  • Letter of recommendation from academic advisor;
  • Exchange Application;
  • Financial Guarantee Statement;
  • Official Transcript;
  • Completed TOEFL Score Report for students from Germany and France:
    Graduate: 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), and 80 (internet-based)
    Undergraduate: 500 (paper-based), and 61 (internet-based).

Language Requirements


Application Deadlines

All application materials must be submitted to the Office of Study Abroad and Student Exchange by the following dates:

Fall programs: Graduate, March 1; Undergraduate, March 15
Spring programs: Graduate, September 15; Undergraduate, October 15

Fees and Expenses

You pay the normal tuition of your home institution. You will receive a waiver from the University of Arizona for tuition and registration costs. You will, however, be responsible for incidental fees.

You or your home institution is responsible of the cost of transportation, living expenses, the cost of lodging and health insurance and other study costs.

You must register as a full-time student at the University of Arizona (9 credits for graduates and 12 credits for undergraduates per semester).

Your home institution proposes students qualified for the exchange.


You must purchase health insurance through the University of Arizona Campus Health Service. Rates are $448 for the fall semester, and $683 for spring or produce required documentation for waiver consideration to Campus Health Service.


Once you are admitted, the Office of Study Abroad and Student Exchange, in conjunction with the UA Graduate College, will send forms and instructions to apply for your J-1 Exchange Student visa at the nearest U.S. Consulate or Embassy. You will also receive other admission paperwork to help you prepare for your studies in Arizona.


You must provide proof of vaccination for measles and rubella after 1980.


The University of Arizona does not provide housing for student exchange scholars. However, depending on the dates of your visit, housing may be available in one of the dormitories on campus. Other reasonably priced housing is near the University is generally available.


All exchange students are required to attend an international student orientation prior to the start of each semester. During the orientation students will be assisted with UA registration and finding housing. Students are also invited to several social events to familiar students with the campus and its community.

Office of Study Abroad and Student Exchange: